Here are some pointers on how to become more like Kaladin Stormblessed from Stormlight Archives written by Brandon Sanderson.
Well, if you are here already, I am going to assume you know why you should become like him. So I will skip that part and cut to the chase.
Sometimes when I am in a moral dilemma, I think “WWKD” – “What Would Kaladin Do?” He would choose to be honorable. That’s it. That’s the answer. If you want more details on how to do that, keep reading.
How to be more like Kaladin Stormlight
Kaladin is a complex and dynamic character from Brandon Sanderson’s “The Stormlight Archive” series. He is a skilled warrior and leader, known for his courage, selflessness, and determination. If you’re looking to emulate his character, here are a few tips to help you on your journey:
- Be the leader of your own life: Kaladin has a natural ability to inspire others, so start by inspiring yourself. Take charge of your own life, set your goals, and go after them with determination. Kaladin was enslaved and punished several times for trying to escape. But when the time came, he took up the mantle and became the leader the others needed him to be.
- Have the courage to try new things: Kaladin never backs down from a challenge, and neither should you. Embrace new opportunities, and don’t be afraid to fail. After all, failure is just a temporary setback on the road to success. Kaladin was the only commander in the army who was willing to think and do things outside of the box. He learned how to read and write despite his dyslexia.
- Be a selfless hero: Kaladin always puts the needs of others before his own. Follow his lead and act selflessly, it’s not only good for the soul but also for your karma. For example, Kaladin risks his life to save the Bridge Crew during the battle of the Tower but he also learns to ask for help and take care of his own mental health.
- Take charge: Kaladin feels like he is the father and everyone around him are children to be taken care of by him, feeling responsible for every soul. So when there’s a conflict, he knows what to do, takes charge, and starts giving orders. Even Dalinar knows to shut up and listen to him when he makes that face. You know the one I mean. For example, Kaladin takes charge of the bridge crews but he also learns to trust his men and respect their individuality.
- Get fit and strong like a true warrior: Kaladin is in top physical shape, and being physically fit is important to be able to perform as a leader. So hit the gym, or take up a sport, it will not only make you look good but also feel good. For example, Kaladin trains every day to maintain his strength and stamina, but he also knows when to rest and recover.
- Discipline yourself: You think Kaladin can fight like a storm because he was lazy and missed the drills? No. He worked on becoming better every day. Kaladin is a master of discipline and focus, and you should be too. Set goals, create a schedule, and stick to it. No excuses. For example, Kaladin never misses a training session or a battle drill, but he also knows when to take a break and recharge his batteries.
- Be empathetic: Kaladin is able to connect with people and understand their feelings and motivations. Try to put yourself in other people’s shoes, it will not only make you a better person but also a more relatable leader. For example, Kaladin understands the struggles of the bridge crews and the Parshendi, but he also learns to empathize with his enemies and see the bigger picture.
- Learn from your mistakes: Like Kaladin, learn from your mistakes and use them to grow as a person. After all, every failure is just an opportunity for a comeback. For example, Kaladin learns from his failures as a squad leader and a surgeon, but he also forgives himself and moves on (although it takes some time).
- Don’t be afraid to express yourself: Kaladin has cried and broken down more times than I can count. In public. His squad and many more people has seen him at his worst and when he keeps getting back up to fight, it inspires everyone else to do the same. In Rhythm of War, one of the characters mention how they can still hope and try to fight in Urithiru because they have seen how much Kaladin dusts himself off and gets back up every single time he is knocked off.
Keep in mind that emulating a fictional character like Kaladin can be challenging. Everyone has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. The most important thing is to strive to become the best version of yourself. Keep in mind that the most important step a man can take is not the first one. It’s the next one.