If you ever need a dose of motivation, the best book to read at any point in life is Oathbringer or any of the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson.
The best quote to describe the great Dalinar Kholin is –
A solitary figure had somehow gotten around the troops who had already entered the city. He now picked his way across the rubble, wearing a blue uniform, carrying a book tucked under his arm.
Unaided and defenseless, Dalinar Kholin stepped into the gap in the broken wall, and there faced the nightmare alone.
Quotes by Dalinar Kholin
- Sometimes a hypocrite is nothing more than a man in the process of changing.
- I will take responsibility for what I have done. If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man
- The most important word a man can say are, “I will do better.”
- But merely being tradition does not make something worthy, Kadash. We can’t just assume that because something is old it is right.
- “You. Cannot. Have. My. Pain.”
- If someone insulted my biceps, I wouldn’t attack him. I’d refer him to a physician because obviously something is wrong with his eyes.
- He hadn’t changed in one giant leap, but across a million little steps.
- A journey will have pain and failure. It is not only the steps forward that we must accept. It is the stumbles. The trials. The knowledge that we will fail. That we will hurt those around us. But if we stop, if we accept the person we are when we fail, the journey ends. That failure becomes our destination.
- A leader did not slump. A leader was in control. Even when he least felt like he controlled anything. Especially then.
“The most important words a man can say are, “I will do better.” These are not the most important words any man can say. I am a man, and they are what I needed to say.
The ancient code of the Knights Radiant says “journey before destination.” Some may call it a simple platitude, but it is far more. A journey will have pain and failure. It is not only the steps forward that we must accept. It is the stumbles. The trials. The knowledge that we will fail. That we will hurt those around us.
But if we stop, if we accept the person we are when we fall, the journey ends. That failure becomes our destination. To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.
I’m certain some will feel threatened by this record. Some few may feel liberated. Most will simply feel that it should not exist. I needed to write it anyway.”
Best quotes from Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
- The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar.
- Accept the pain, but don’t accept that you deserved it.
- The questionis not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path.
- To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.
- Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone. But that does not mean that I walked alone.
- Ten spears go to battle and nine shatter. Did the war forge the one that remained? No, Amaran. All the war did was identify the spear that would not break.
- You tried to help the people of the market. You mostly failed. This is life. The longer you live, the more you fail. Failure is the mark of a life well lived. In turn, the only way to live without failure is to be of no use to anyone. Trust me, I’ve practiced
- Life breaks us, Teft. Then we fill the cracks with something stronger.
- The trick to happiness wasn’t in freezing every momentary pleasure and clinging to each one, but in ensuring one’s life would produce many future moments to anticipate.
- Love wasn’t about being right or wrong, but about standing up and helping when your partner’s back was bowed.
- As long as you keep trying, there’s a chance. When you give up? That’s when the dream dies.
- In my painful experience, the truth may be simple, but it is rarely easy.
- I will protect those I hate. Even if the one I hate most is myself.
- Plan every battle as if you will inevitably retreat, but fight every battle like there is no backing down.
- He felt good lots of days. Trouble was, on the bad days, that was hard to remember. At those times, for some reason, he felt like he had always been in that darkness, and always would be.
- If you could explain something perfectly, then you’d never need art.
- Life was so much harder, but potentially so much more fulfilling, when you found the courage to choose.
- Every moment in our lives seems trivial,” Zahel said. “Most are forgotten while some, equally humble, become the points upon which history pivots.
- “They will try to define you by something you are not. Don’t let them. I can be a scholar, a woman, a historian, a Radiant. People will still try to classify me by the thing that makes me an outsider. They want, ironically, the thing I don’t do or believe to be the prime marker of my identity. I have always rejected that, and will continue to do so.” – Jasnah
- You should try to understand what they want out of life, and respect that, rather than projecting onto them what you think they should want out of life.
- The best indication of what human beings will do is not what they think, but what the record says similar groups have done in the past.
- It was simply the way of human beings, subtly changing the past in their minds to match their current beliefs.
- Once the soul grows accustomed to the wound, it’s much harder to fix.
- The old Words must be spoken again.
- That a thing is hated is not proof that it’s great art, but the lack of hatred is certainly proof that it is not.
“A journey will have pain and failure. It is not only the steps forward that we must accept. It is the stumbles. The trials. The knowledge that we will fail. That we will hurt those around us.
But if we stop, if we accept the person we are when we fail, the journey ends. That failure becomes our destination.”
Funny quotes from Stormlight Archives: Oathbringer
- “Inappropriate?” Pattern said. “Such as … dividing by zero?”
- “NO MATING.”
- “Aim for the sun. That way if you miss, at least your arrow will fall far away, and the person it kills will likely be someone you don’t know.”
- “Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before pancakes.” – Lopen
- You look so ugly, it seems that someone tried—and failed—to get the warts off your face through aggressive application of sandpaper.
- You are less a human being, and more a lump of dung with aspirations.
- If someone took a stick and beat you repeatedly, it could only serve to improve your features.
- Your face defies description, but only because it nauseated all the poets.
- You are what parents use to frighten children into obedience.
- I’d tell you to put a sack over your head, but think of the poor sack!
- Theologians use you as proof that God exists, because such hideousness can only be intentional.
- Oh, but I’m a scholar. I enjoy things with curious properties, and stupidity is most interesting. The more you study it, the further it flees—and yet the more of it you obtain, the less you understand about it!
- Logically, the bright side is the only side you can look at, because the other side is dark.
- “Storms, boy. What did you do? Hit a lighteyes?” “Yes,” Kaladin said. Then punched him.”
- Turned out that the end of the world had to actually arrive before people would take it seriously.
- You don’t fly, you fall the wrong way.
- “He came at me,” Adolin said, “in the training rooms, screaming that you’d found the killer. Said that if I didn’t come, you’d probably—and I quote—‘go do something stupid without letting me watch.”
- It is my solemn and important duty to bring happiness, light, and joy into your world when you’re being a dour idiot.
- Oh, I’m not objecting, I’d let a confused dishwasher marry us.
- “I had a splinter once,” Shallan noted. “It eventually got out of hand.”